Ancient Maori people named Paua shell as “The gift of the God of the sea.” It is often referred to as the “Sea Opal” due to its striking blues, greens and fiery flashes and the iridescent patterns that change as they catch the light. It is the most sought-after amongst the varieties of Abalone, making each piece of jewellery unique. Tide Jewellery Paua shell is sustainably sourced as a by-product from the Farmed Fishing Industry of New Zealand and is never dredged or free fished. This Jewellery is tested against European Regulations and the plated, or Stainless-Steel components, are hypo-allergenic. According to Maori practice, giving beautiful Paua shell is considered extremely lucky and is believed to bring sensitivity, harmony, prosperity, and peace to the wearer. Paua shells were used to treat ailments and health conditions including, deficiency of calcium, hearing problems and nervous system disorders. Many traditional and contemporary crafts of New Zealand use these shells and Paua shell has always been an indispensable part of jewellery making.
- Natural Abalone (Paua) Shell Pendant featuring a handmade Egyptian Ankh Symbol of Life design. The pendant measures 45mm by 30mm and has a 50mm drop.
- The pendant comes on an 18″ (45.7cm) Hypoallergenic Trace Chain with a secure lobster clasp fastening.
- This jewellery is supplied in its own attactive gift box with white velvet effect interior, making it perfect as a present for someone special
- Sustainably Sourced – We respect the environment and all our jewellery only uses shell sourced in a sustainable way. All the shell used arises either from farmed sources or from harvesting natural resources for their food value
- Hypoallergenic – Our jewellery is finished in a high quality plate, meaning its not only hardwearing but also nickel, cadmium and lead compliant